[at-l] Drilling & trees, etc...

Hear, hear! I'm not very proud of the politicians of the past 25 years,
and suspect that luck and our economy managed to help win the Cold War
far more than our leadership in Washington.

That said, I am equally satisfied with Pres. Clinton and Pres-Elect
Bush. I find that history rewards nations whose leaders are savvy
liars, swindlers and thiefs. Each of our greatest presidents lied to
the country and used deception in negotiations with powers - foreign
and domestic. If FDR hadn't lied to Congress and the public regarding
Lend-Lease, we would be typing in German.

The idea of becoming President is patently insane. The sort of person
with such a goal must be terrifically focused and capable of taking
huge risks. I would be surprised if any President has failed to have
violated marital and other contracts. Frankly, if a President can't lie
convincingly to his wife, just who is he going to deceive successfully?
We learned W has lied about his criminal history, and has been at least
deceptive regarding substance abuse. He did this very well. Mr. Clinton
lies about many things, but too often about matters that are easily
verified and trivial. He has embarrased himself and his family, as well
as his supporters. Yet he has compiled a credible record of
accomplishments during a time of great partisanship and political
warfare.

Yep, there will be payback when W gets into office and when he leaves.
His father acted similarly, engaging in military action in Somilia and
Haiti while Clinton was still trying to decide on his Cabinet. Won't
history be fun to read in about 15-20 years?

Bill Thorneloe