[at-l] Drilling & trees, etc...

------=_NextPart_000_0292_01C07774.3CAC2440

Re: [at-l] Re: This is important! ;Battle resumes over drilling =
in....After witnessing many incredibly vicious, vitriolic, and personal =
attacks on political statements on Trailplace (and being attacked myself =
) I am hesitant about writing this.  Also, it's really impossible to =
state what I really think without writing all night long but here goes:

1) I don't like Clinton.  He has no moral character.  Period.  I am =
raising two boys and am teaching them (as best I can) to be morally =
upright young men.  I'm not a prude by any means but his breaking his =
vow to his wife and lying about it are not qualities I want my children =
to admire.  They can admire him all they want as our President, but they =
are also aware that he has many, many personal "issues".

2)  It can be debated ad infinitum whose policies were good or bad and =
who is better or worse for the environment.  The debates will anger =
everyone and solve nothing.  I wrote my Congressman.  He sent me a =
packet of bills, initiatives, appointments, etc explaining to me all of =
the pro-environmental things that have occurred in Congress and which =
ones he was involved in.  I was impressed and now we have a dialogue.

3)  The USFS was formed to manage the use of our forests for lumber =
production.  Trees are our only truly renewable resource and if properly =
managed, our forests can sustain us with wood for our homes and for =
paper indefinitely.  Unfortunately, many of our forests were pillaged =
before any protections existed or have been undermanaged (not enough =
funding) and misguided (clearcutting policies, channelization policies, =
roadbuilding policies, tax policies for tree farms, etc).  I spent many =
years working for a company that built pulpwood loaders and have =
traveled around the Southeast and have seen what damage can be done by a =
careless (or ignorant) logging crew.  The Panther Creek Trail crosses =
the Conasauga River in the Cohutta Wilderness.  At this crossing, there =
are still cables sticking out of the ground that were left by loggers =
from over 50 years ago.  I can only imagine what the place looked like =
then.  Also, my brother used to build tree planters until the tax laws =
forced many landowners to stop planting trees and thus stop buying tree =
planters.  According to my brother, the tax laws in Georgia for tree =
farms are among the worst and our forest industry (paper production, =
wood production, flooring, cabinets, etc), which used to be the largest =
industry in Georgia, is in decline.  Even though Georgia's plantings are =
down, a billion trees a year are still being planted in this country - =
mostly pines and mostly for lumber and paper.  These billion trees take =
about 20 years to be harvested.  These billion trees reduce the need to =
go into new USFS or private timber areas but do not eliminate it.  =
That's where proper management and proper policies are critical to the =
survival of the forests (see # 2).

4) The oil drilling plan is not a production plan.  It won't supply oil =
for a second.  It is a six year exploration plan.  It is a proposal to =
test a very, very, very small area in the northernmost part of Alaska =
for the existence of oil.  It will still have an impact on the =
environment - but not nearly to the extent the opponents would lead you =
to believe.  There is a totally separate proposal for production if =
adequate quantities of oil are found and its not even under =
consideration - yet.

5)  Clinton's use of Executive Orders is both right and wrong.  =
Executive Orders are an odd lot and aren't intended to bypass the =
Congressional system of lawmaking - If I remember correctly their intent =
was to allow for executive action in emergency situations - with the =
possibility of Congressional review (any constitutional law types out =
there?).  The road plan is not (at least to me) an emergency situation.  =
However, the road order has been "in the works" for a long time.   There =
was a public review period during which the responses forced changes to =
the road plan.  This delayed things.  Estimates were that the plan would =
finally be completed around Election Day and then by Christmas.  =
Somehow, the delay was until just after the Interior Secretary was =
announced.

I've written what I believe to be true and I've spent a lot of time =
trying to get all the facts.  However, it is very, very difficult to get =
"the whole story", get it right, and act upon it.  It is very, very easy =
to get part of the story, get it wrong, and either attack someone or be =
attacked.  Its too easy to type too little (or too much) and not make a =
point the way it's intended and it's way too easy to be misinterpreted.  =
If there is an error here - sorry - I'm not perfect.  If I've offended =
you then send an email to me.  I don't want to see this list get mean =
and I won't post anything like this again. =20

We all care about the environment and we all care about the forests and =
trails.  Many of you have met and are friends and care about each other. =
 It shows every day on this list.  I like that.  Sorry for the rambling,

Charles

------=_NextPart_000_0292_01C07774.3CAC2440

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: [at-l] Re: This is important! ;Battle resumes =

over drilling in....</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After witnessing many incredibly =
vicious,=20
vitriolic, and personal attacks on political statements on Trailplace =
(and being=20
attacked myself ) I am hesitant about writing this.&nbsp; Also, it's =
really=20
impossible to state what I really think without writing all night long =
but here=20
goes:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) I don't like Clinton.&nbsp; He has =
no moral=20
character.&nbsp; Period.&nbsp; I am raising two boys and am teaching =
them (as=20
best I can) to be morally upright young men.&nbsp; I'm not a prude by =
any means=20
but&nbsp;his breaking&nbsp;his vow to his wife and lying about =
it&nbsp;are not=20
qualities I want my children to admire.&nbsp; They can admire him all =
they want=20
as our President, but they are also aware that he has many, many =
personal=20
"issues".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2)&nbsp; It can be debated ad infinitum =
whose=20
policies were good or bad and who is better or worse for the =
environment.&nbsp;=20
The debates will anger everyone and solve nothing.&nbsp; I wrote my=20
Congressman.&nbsp; He sent me a packet of bills, initiatives, =
appointments, etc=20
explaining to me all of the pro-environmental things that have occurred =
in=20
Congress and which ones he was involved in.&nbsp; I was impressed and =
now we=20
have a dialogue.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3)&nbsp; The USFS was formed to manage =
the use of=20
our forests for lumber production.&nbsp; Trees are our <STRONG>only =
truly=20
renewable resource</STRONG> and if <STRONG>properly</STRONG> managed, =
our=20
forests can sustain us with wood for our homes and for paper =
indefinitely.&nbsp;=20
Unfortunately, many of our forests were pillaged before any protections =
existed=20
or have been undermanaged&nbsp;(not enough funding) and misguided =
(clearcutting=20
policies, channelization policies, roadbuilding policies, tax policies =
for tree=20
farms, etc).&nbsp; I spent many years&nbsp;working for a company that=20
built&nbsp;pulpwood loaders and have traveled around the Southeast and =
have seen=20
what damage can be done by a careless (or ignorant) logging crew.&nbsp; =
The=20
Panther Creek Trail crosses the Conasauga River in the Cohutta =
Wilderness.&nbsp;=20
At this crossing, there are still cables sticking out of the ground that =
were=20
left by loggers from over 50 years ago.&nbsp; I can only imagine what =
the place=20
looked like then.&nbsp; Also, my brother used to build tree planters =
until the=20
tax laws forced many landowners to stop planting trees and thus stop =
buying tree=20
planters.&nbsp; According to my brother, the tax laws in Georgia for =
tree farms=20
are among the worst and our forest industry (paper production, wood =
production,=20
flooring, cabinets, etc), which used to be the largest industry in =
Georgia, is=20
in decline.&nbsp; Even though Georgia's plantings are down, a billion =
trees a=20
year are still being planted in this country - mostly pines and mostly =
for=20
lumber and paper.&nbsp; These billion trees take about 20 years to be=20
harvested.&nbsp; These billion trees&nbsp;reduce the need to go into new =
USFS or=20
private timber areas but do not eliminate it.&nbsp; That's where proper=20
management and proper policies are critical to the survival of the =
forests (see=20
# 2).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4) The oil drilling plan is =
<STRONG>not</STRONG> a=20
production plan.&nbsp; It won't supply oil for a second.&nbsp; It is a =
six year=20
<STRONG>exploration</STRONG> plan.&nbsp; It is a proposal to test a =
very, very,=20
very small&nbsp;area in the northernmost part of Alaska for the =
existence of=20
oil.&nbsp; It will still have an impact on the environment - but not =
nearly to=20
the extent the opponents would lead you to believe.&nbsp; There is a =
totally=20
separate proposal for production <STRONG>if</STRONG> adequate quantities =
of oil=20
are found and its not even under consideration - yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>5)&nbsp; Clinton's =
use of=20
Executive Orders is both right and wrong.&nbsp; Executive Orders are an =
odd lot=20
and aren't intended to bypass the Congressional system of lawmaking - If =
I=20
remember correctly their intent was to allow for executive action in =
emergency=20
situations - with the possibility of Congressional review (any =
constitutional=20
law types out there?).&nbsp; The road plan is not (at least to me) an =
emergency=20
situation.&nbsp; However, the road order has been "in the works" for a =
long=20
time.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;There was a public review period during which the =

things.&nbsp;=20
Estimates were that the plan would&nbsp;finally be completed around =
Election Day=20
and then by Christmas.&nbsp;&nbsp;Somehow, the delay was until just =
after the=20
Interior Secretary was announced.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've written what I believe to be true =
and I've=20
spent a lot of time trying to get all the facts.&nbsp; However, it is =
very, very=20
difficult to get "the whole story", get it right, and act upon it.&nbsp; =
It is=20
very, very easy to get part of the story, get it wrong, and either =
attack=20
someone or be attacked.&nbsp; Its too easy to type too little (or too =
much) and=20
not make a point the way it's intended and it's way too easy to be=20
misinterpreted.&nbsp; If there is an error here - sorry - I'm not =
perfect.&nbsp;=20
If I've offended you then send an email to me.&nbsp; I don't want to see =
this=20
list get mean and I won't post anything like this again.&nbsp;=20
<DIV></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We all care about the environment and =
we all care=20
about the forests and trails.&nbsp; Many of you have met and are friends =
and=20
care about each other.&nbsp; It shows every day on this list.&nbsp; I =
like=20
that.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sorry for the =
rambling,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Charles</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0292_01C07774.3CAC2440--