[at-l] aches and pains

In a message dated 1/5/2001 1:02:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cleek@csc.smsu.edu writes:

<< My point is the
 same, though. If it is MAJOR inflammation then I'd be a fool not to try to
 bring it down. On the other hand, if it's minor inflammation then perhaps
 my body is telling me to slow down until it can catch up to the effort I'm
 trying to make it exert. Ibuprofen for such an inflammation would deafen
 my body's voice, and I personally think it smarter to listen to my
 body than to ignore it. >>

You missed my point entirely.  You take the Ibuprofen at the outset of your
hike to help reduce the swelling when your body is rebeling (and it will), so
it doesn't become MAJOR inflammation.  If it does, don't expect the "hiker
candy" to be of much help, you're most likely past that point and either,
and, or, hiking in serious pain, visiting a doctor, off the trail.

I'm only talking two genetics, 400 mgs. for the first two or three weeks and
then when needed after a very hard day.  No mega doses involved....

It's your hike and your body may react differently, but I don't believe there
are many long distance hikers that haven't used the drug (anyone)?

Sly