[at-l] Boot fitting information (fairly long)

Um, let me add this...

I wore ~9 year old Limmers from Georgia to Pearisburg and Glencliff to
Katahdin.  I had them resoled (for the second time) before I started.
Needleess to say, they were well broken in before I started.

The worst foot pain I had on the trail was on the days when I had to walk in
thoroughly soaked boots.  It didn't matter whether I was in the Smokies or
in Maine.  And it didn't matter how many times the boots had been previously
thoroughly soaked.

Any wear and tear, soaking, abrasion, etc. shortens the life of your boots.
If you allow yourself the time to break them in slowly, you only wear the
parts necessary to give you a good fit.  If you soak the entire boot, you
will only shorten the life of more of the boot (mostly the stitching along
the seam(s) and welt but also weakening the leather itself.  Of course, you
can't avoid that on the trail which is why I just said to let it happen
naturally.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99