[at-l] Re: next round

On 12/26/00 at 10:08 PM, Billie H. Cleek <cleek@csc.smsu.edu> wrote:

> 1. What in the world is everyone using to weight their stuff
> with? Electronic scale? Mechanical Scale?

I've got an electronic scale, but I also use my bathroom scale. The elctronic scale lets me weigh
individual items and the bathroom one lets me determine pack weight when the pack is loaded.

> 2. I'd also be interested in finding out what the standard pack weight
> is. I don't mean load weight. How much does your empty backpack
> weight?

Rather depends on the pack I take. Generally I use my GVP Gear G4 which weighs about 13 ounces. If I
were to use, very unlikely, the REI Valhalla that would weigh 5.5 pounds. The only reason to use
that one is if I'm going to carry a heavier load consistently for a long period of time. Heavy in
this case menans more than 30 pounds of gear, food, and such like. For a week long 3-season trip the
G4 will tend to start out with about 25-27 pounds all told (there is actually a bit more, but it
isn't in the G4).

> 3. What about your standard size? I'm definitely planning to buy my
> pack last (I'm getting a new one), but I'd still be interested in your
> average pack size.
>
> 4. How much of your pack load (volume, not weight) is taken up by food?

The G4 has an awful lot of space. Something like 4,400 cubic inches. I don't use nearly all of that.
I could use less than I do, but I pack the sleeping bag loosely in the bottom. If I managed to use
all the space I'd be carrying more weight than I'd want too. A pack with a volume of around 4,000 is
more than sufficient for a week long trip. Personally I like having the extra space since it means I
don't have to cram things in so tightly or carefully. As long as it isn't too loose that the pack
unbalances I am happy.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **

To:            chrisw@landmarknet.net, at-l@backcountry.net