[at-l] Katahdin Reservation Information

Hiyas
Baxter State Park takes reservations for the upcoming season starting January
2nd. There's a big scene at Headquarters that day, as over one hundred folks
line up to make in-person reservations. The 'choice' spots, cabins, and dates
go quick. Reservations by mail are processed as soon as the hubbub subsides.
Overnight camping season starts on May 15th. The AT may or may not be open.
Katahdin Stream Campground has tent sites, lean-tos and walk-in tent sites. I
suggest putting 'I'll take anything' on your request.
BSP has no 'official' web site, this one is the best I know of,
put up by a Park Ranger:
http://www.katahdinoutdoors.com/bsp/
There's a scan of the reservation form, and links to fees, rules, history,
ect.
Shelters/Lean-tos & Tenting spaces are $6 per person, minimum $12 per site.
Check, money order, or bank check only.
Enclose a self-addressed legal size stamped envelope.
(new postage rate as of Jan 7th is .34, up a penny)
Send to:
Baxter State Park
Reservation Clerk
64 Balsam Drive
Millinocket, Maine 04462
call: 1.207.723.5140
It costs an out-of-stater $8 at the gate to drive in.
I'll be up in Millinocket on the 4th to make my reservations for 'opening
weekend', a visit with the kids in June, the meteor shower in August, and a
visit in September.
TJ
"Man is born to die, his works are short lived.
Buildings crumble, monuments decay,
Wealth vanishes.
But Katahdin in all its glory,
Forever shall remain the Mountain of the
People of Maine."
~ Gov. Percival P. Baxter

To:            at-l@backcountry.net