[at-l] Mt. Bikes on the AT

Yes I am also disturbed about Mt. Bikers barreling ass down our AT or
anyother trail that hikers use. I am also an avid Mt. Biker and  thru
hiker. Here in the N.C, and Ga. area we have trails just for bikers,
such as Bull Mt. and Tsali. (where we rotate trails daily for hikers,
bikers and horses) Trails that allow bikers and hikers together, are
asking for trouble, and I refuse to ride them. I was nearly run down by
bikers, not far from Petite Gap hiking in Virginia in 1999. This was on
the AT. I always thought it was a $ 500 fine to ride your bike on the
AT. What can be done? Probably not much, because these people are
ignorant, or just do not care. For those that want to try to stop it,
maybe contact the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) or
the local chapter in your area. They should be helpful.
Singletrack 2000

To:            at-l@backcountry.net