Re: [at-l] Gear List

Belcher-

Thanks for your comments! I loved reading your journal
this past year - your's was one I never missed.  I am
also a vegetarian so that was of particular interest
to me.  Your comments got truncated after the foot
powder - Don't know why??  Please resend any you had
after that if you can.  Also see my additional
comments.

Irene
--- Dawn Stringer <stringdm@yahoo.com> wrote:

> -- you'll probably want a lighter, and use the
> matches as a backup.
I was thinking about that.  A lighter is probably more
reliable.

> If y'all have water bladders, (platypus) why the
> Nalgene bottle?  Just a
> question.
To mix any drinks? No, not martini's :)  I dunno -
Gatorade, or another type mix.  Also to mix the
instant pudding that I like for dessert (on special
nights)

> I suggest more film.
I guess I will carry more depending on how far til the
next maildrop.  I love to take pictures, too.

> I've never been able to make moleskin work.  If you
> have that problem, too,
> duct tape works wonders.  instead of bandaids, I
> would suggest sterile
> cotton pads and duct tape. (you may not have
> realized the wonderous power of
> duct tape, but you will.... you will...)
Ah yes, I know about duct tape.  I have it in my head
to bring, but it never made it to the list (go
figure).   I have used moleskin in the past, though,
and like it.  Your plan, though, eliminates the need
for the leatherman scissors.  Actually, I usually use
the moleskin with duct tape over top, so I should just
go with the pads, less money.  Thanks!

> > Handiwipes
> > Leatherman micra
>
> The only tool I ever used on my leather man was the
> tiny screwdriver thingy
> to change the battery in my walkman.
I am not 100% sold on bringing the leatherman either.

> You're going to stink.  Badly.  Get used to it.  I
> bathed in streams on
> occasion, but never used soap.
My plan was to use a bit on my hands, and to do
laundry in towns.  I am overly sensitive to most
detergents.  I guess I could just send a bit in each
maildrop.  I don't mind the stink thing, I did 8 days
this summer - and met a bunch of thru-hikers in the
Whites.  I am more bothered by too much cologne.   I
guess I should use the handi-wipes, and the Bronners
in town for laundry.

> > Toothpaste & Small toothbrush
> > Medicated Powder (In zip-lock) - for feet, etc
> [ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically
> truncated *** ]

This is where I lost you :(  Boo Hiss to my email.
Maybe you could send me the rest in a separate
message??  I don't think my email likes too many
quoted lines.  I tried to minimize them in this post.
Thanks for all your great comments, and for your
journal that I, once again, really enjoyed.  So, what
are you up to now?  Hope I hike into you on the trail,

Irene