Re: [at-l] bikes on trail

The Wizard wrote:
>>Question: what should be the proper response to >>encountering a herd of
bikers on the AT?

If the encounter is with a herd, I would agree with your response. If they
were flying by, not a whole lot you can do, but if they were stopped you may
ask if they realized mtn biking isn't allowed on the AT. I know, most are
aware and just don't care, or maybe aren't aware and still don't care. But I
still try to ask, just in case they really didn't realize. I encountered a
lone biker just south of Bulls Bridge in CT last summer. And he truly did not
know mtn wasn't allowed. He even got off his bike and walked it back to the
road.  I give folks the benefit of the doubt, even when the odds aren't in
their favor.
      Out-Patient (who also mtn bikes, but not where prohibited)

To:            <at-l@backcountry.net>