Re: [at-l] GPS & misc.

If you are thru hiking (as opposed to 1 week or less sectioning), the
cell phone is useless weight. I never have gotten to use the recharger
in the shelters. The GPS is even more useless, unless you are just
really into trying figure out how inaccurate the maps are.

The whistle and mirror are both excellent ideas. The mirror can help
you do the tick checks without grossing out a fellow hiker, hence it
has a double purpose. Shaving pubic hair can reduce some non-essential
weight, but it also reduces means of keeping fragile things warm. Not
really worth the work.

You seem to have a very thoughtful and helpful husband. It would only
further frustrate him to worry about water proofing Gore-Tex boots. I'd
encourage him to return the cell phone and GPS, and go for a
Smokeshifter. Some like Titanium or plastic, although mine is all
natural materials. It is something to use every night, and will keep
him in your dreams.

Bill....