Re:[at-l] Clevis pin

ATnavi@aol.com wrote:

> OK, gang, here's a stumper. I was given a gear list that included a clevis
> pin. It's my impression that it's part of a backpack...but WHAT part?
>
> Any idea WHY someone would carry a spare?

They are commonly used on external frame backpacks to hold pieces of the
pack together - sometimes pole to pole, often bag to frame connections are
made with clevis pins.

Paranoid people will carry spares just in case they lose one. Others will
use a stick and a piece of duct tape to get to town where they can use a
bolt or buy a replacement pin.

My feeling on spares is that I can do without till I can repair properly if
I have something like duct tape to work with in the woods. I used to carry
quite a few extra ounces of repair "stuff" with me, but a mini pocket knife
and duct tape seem to always get me back on the trail these days.

-p

--
Paddler
AT Class of 1999 GA>ME