Re: [at-l] pre- and post-hike weights

That seems to be the trend. I suspect there may be a hidden problem in
our sport/lifestyle. Hiking may be like dieting - a very low benefit
means of weight control. Dieting without exercise usually only results
in transient weight loss, with a "yo-yo" increase as your body appears
to react to starvation by preparing for the next famine by packing fat
away for the next time.

I suspect women's weight maintenance is going to be related to hormonal
differences, including the ability to maintain weight while eating for
2. So far I have not seen an anorexic on the trail (maybe rice cake
lady), but there are a bunch of us with at least reactive bulemia when
we get to a town.

Bill...