Re: [at-l] yogi-ing hikers?

Hmm, you don't "yogi other hikers."  Yogiing is the process by which you get
people (usually non-thruhikers, often, non-hikers) to offer you something
you need or want without having asked them for it.

For example, if you encounter some day hikers as you are approaching a
trailhead and you know you are going to need a ride into town, just be
friendly and strike up a conversation.  Be patient as you answer all the
typical questions (2167 miles, about 6 months, etc.) and at some point,
you'll be able to mention that you're looking forward to picking up your
mail drop in (insert the name of the town down the road here).  Chances are
that they'll ask you if you're going to walk to town or perhaps how are you
getting to town.  If you just mention that you'll be hitching - that you've
found hitching to be safe and a great way to meet some really nice people.
With any luck, they'll "be going that way anyway" and will offer you a ride.

Or, get to a roadside picnic area where you smell really good food cooking.
Once again, be friendly as you pull out something really meager looking.
Perhaps they'll offer you something better than that granola bar to eat.
Looking really hot and holding an empty water bottle while asking if they
know if there's a water source nearby might just yield a soda or a beer.

As for hanging food, most shelters had plenty of hangers already and it
wasn't unusual to double and triple up on a hanger.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

To:            MMSW00@aol.com
Cc:            at-l@backcountry.net