Re: [at-l] Long Day in the Whites...

In a message dated 12/7/00 8:25:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
m_factor@hotmail.com writes:

<< Part of the time it takes to "hike" in the area is just looking at
something
 and trying to figure out how you can get up or down it.  Those few extra
 seconds here and there don't seem like much but they really do add up -
 especially when you are used to just striding along.  There are few places
 in the Whites where you can just stride along. >>

So true. When I was approaching the Whites, striding along in the last part
of Vermont, I passed SOBO's who had these big smiles on their faces,
practically skipping (well, not really...but they were very happy). One of
them said as we passed, "Isn't this BEAUtiful!" in a giddy kind of way. At
the time, I was kinda sick of mud. I'd also covered, what?, 1600 miles or so.
I was still loving it out there, having a great time, but my overall mood
wasn't QUITE so chipper at that point in time. When I got to the Whites
beginning at Moosilauke, it was obvious why the SOBOs were so elated. They
could actually do what felt and looked like HIKING again...stride along, as
you said.  Still--and despite my own personal fear of falling (not of
heights, per se)--the Whites remain one of my favorite parts of the trail.

Ramkitten

To:            <DaRedhead@aol.com>, <at-l@backcountry.net>