Re: [at-l] Hiking in the Smokies

-- DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:
> Yes, the dates are pretty much set in stone.  We'll be hitting the Trail
> midday on the 29th, and looking for a shuttle back to the vehicle on the
> 2nd.

BTW, if there's snow on the trail, or icy parts, or a cold snap, or high
crosswind (and these are all a 50/50 crapshoot, methinks), you mph can
quickly drop from 2mph going easy to 1mph pushing it, and given your
daylight will range from 7:00am to 5:00pm, and how *everything* takes
longer in the cold... I'd either plan for sub10 days... or keep that
flashlight handy.

Nighthiking that ridge WAS something to behold...........

Sloetoe
(who broke camp promptly at 10:00am every morning over Thanksgiving,
much to Stitches amusement/chagrin.... And went to sleep "Plunk!"
"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!" promptly upon entering sleeping bag device thing every
nighty.)

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10