[at-l] Great Read!

Been reading a great book recently: _Creative Survival: A Narrative History of Azel Adams, The Forks, Maine_.

This book is a narrative of of Azel Adams. This gentleman was born in 1912, in  an area of Maine not too far from our favorite trail. His first person recollections provide a vivid portrait of a life that is increasingly rare, if not vanished. Mentions building 'camps' of the type used to always dot Maine (Pierce Pond has one for example), shoeing horses, using the rivers to float logs..etc..etc. All in all, a very good read to find out more about the history of the area that many of us have hiked through. Not about the trail per se, but definitely about the heart and soul of what makes Maine such a great place.

Mags
(LT '97&'99, AT '98, Reading a lot 2000, Italy 2001)
The true harvest of my life is intagiable...a little
stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow that I have clutched.
-Thoreau

To:            larry galyen <plodder@juno.com>, at-l <at-l@backcountry.net>