Re: [at-l] Another cold weather question

Tina, what a note! It sounds like you learned a heck of a lot on your
short walk, and the has led to some great questions and observations.

What crampon solution (if any) did you settle on and did you try it?

On the water issue. You are correct in noting the need for hydration.
Humidity is typically much lower in winter, you do not get hot, but you
have the same sweat and more water loss via respiration. Keeping a
discipline on drinking is important.

There are a few solutions to the hydration bladder question. One would
be to run the line inside your shell, perhaps feeding through a pitzip.
This would allow an inline filter to stay above freezing. Another
solution would be to make a "koozy" for your bladder or bottle. You
might even include a pocket for a chemical handwarmer, just in case.
Keeping a spare half liter inside your shell may also be good
insurance.

You are correct about the problems with filters. The solution is to
shake them out and keep them as dry as possible. Water expands as it
freezes, and will break filters. So far I've not had the chance to test
with my Safewater Anywhere inline, but that is the reason I've planned
to run it through the shell.

One solution to reject is to make a bit of antifreeze with alcohol.
Alcohol does a great job lowering the freezing point of water. However,
it is a good vasodilator, and will help you lose heat quicker. You also
may get intoxicated quicker with the fatigue of walking and make
critical judgement errors.

And a question for me - I've been looking for the Stabilicer
minicrampon that has  been well recommended here and other lists.
Anyone know a source?

Bill......