Re: [at-l] present recommendations

vhender@austin.ibm.com writes:
<<  Figured I'd pop out of hiding and reintroduce myself.  I'm Val.  There.
Now I'm introduced. >>
Hi Val! Welcome!
<< So, other than that one, what are y'all's favorite AT books? >>
 Lynn Setzer wrote 'A Season on the Trail' about the  1996 thruhiking season.
It follows dozens of hikers all along the trail at different stages.
Wonderful, insightful, with interviews letting the hikers speak for
themselves. If there's a better book allowing outsiders a 'peek' into the
world of thruhikers I don't know of it.
 Robert Rubin's now the editor of the ATN, and his a new book "On the Beaten
Path" is most excellent. Rhymin'worm is a true craftsman of language.
 Bill Irwin's "Blind Courage" deals with his personal journey past alcoholism
and into religious enlightenment. His AT adventure with Orient is a classic
tale.
 "Walking with Spring", by Earl Shaffer the AT's first thruhiker, is a *must*
read. Perhaps the 'where to begin' of AT literature.
TJ < has a full bookcase :O)

To:            at-l@backcountry.net (AT-L listserve)