Re: [at-l] N. Georgia Hike - October 11

The shelter trail was moved to near the top of Springer Mountain on November 18. The sign was relocated to this new junction. What you found was the old shelter trail which had been somewhat hidden at each end. This change is part of a more extensive set of changes to provide more camping in the Springer area and reduce wear on heavily over-camped areas near the shelter. The trail change eliminates the often muddy old route and puts the summit, group camping area, shelter, and privy on pretty much a straight line. This is designed to reduce the need for the numerous trails that crossed the area. For more info see the article at:

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/

Click on the GATC NEWS at the top and the article is at the bottom left of the page.

  I arrivd at Springer Mtn. Shelter around 17:45. I should have gotten there  sooner, but what is an
  AT hike without some mis-adventure thrown in at the start? I walked right past the shelter side
  trail and saw the sign for the Benton  MacKaye  Trail. I went a bit further down the AT, turned
  around, and decided to actually walk the BMT a bit thinking maybe the shelter is up that trail. I
  then headed back towards Springer and in just a few feet of the BMT sign I saw the shelter side
  trail and shortly thereafter I arrrived at the shelter.

  This shelter is really quite something. It is more substantial than many I have seen.  It was
  certainly a fine place to end our day.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---