[at-l] a sobo remembers....the last day.

It was a year ago today that I arrived at Springer and the hike ended. I had mixed feelings about the hike being over. While glad I had made it and managed to do it all, there was a certain something kicking around in the back of my head. I had been out there for 6 months and 2 weeks and it was so much a part of me I felt a little lost. I simply couldn't understand what life would be like off-trail. Over the next few months that "something" managed to give birth to a longing for life on the trail that I couldn't quite understand until the day I had a flat on the tractor. Some day I will write that up and post it.

Since the first anniversary of the start of my hike, I have started each day by taking out my Data Book and looking to see where I was a year ago. Over the months that simple discipline has enabled me to live the trail again. So much so that the other day, realizing that the hike was once again almost over, I was overwhelmed with a sense of sadness.

After a year, I still feel, as a friend of mine said about his hike, "Forever changed, forever blessed." I like that -feel that- so much, I wish I had said it first!

southwalker99@alltel.net
ME-GA '99
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed, style or
finesse. There are only those that do the hike and those that don't.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---

To:            at-l <at-l@backcountry.net>