Re: [at-l] Trip Report

Great trip! I didn't go to Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek Gap this weekend.

I did go to the Rober Woodruff BSA Camp and help cut a trail from the
dirt road to Beaver Field for the Astronomy Club and Boy Scout Camp
activities. (This is north of the AT between Blue Ridge and Blairsville
up on the TN border). We cut brush about 1/2 mile up a gradual slope,
with a few changes I insisted on to help reduce risk of washouts and
erosion. These were gentle rolling S's, no major switchbacks. I got to
try out my gear, including putting on my REI balacava for size. The
rain seemed to stop at the southern "wall" of the Appalachians.

I also tried out in woods my Patagucci Expedition socks. At $18 in
Soho, these were the best I could find easily in Manhatten while
walking without my favorite Smartwools. I'd say these work just about
as well, with no cold tootsies, no blisters, and no sore soles after
walk and work.

So there is a trip report and a gear report, rolled into one!

Bill....