Re: [at-l] About White Lies

Gary Ticknor wrote:

> 1. What is the best time to do the Whites? Ms Gorp told me late July.
> What do others think? Mara? And especially, what conditions could I
> expect next Labor Day, in early September? Will I need fleece in
> September?

CROWDED!!! I came across Washington on Labor Day Sunday. It was SRO. The
weather was nice. But, what the hell does that mean. It can change in three
seconds. I liked hiking them in September and watching a little bit of color
creep in. i also liked the cooler temps.

> 2. North to South or South to North? Why?

You're kiddin', right? I think you have to go N-S.

> 3. How far? 6 easy days would be Franconia Notch to Gorham, say 75
> miles.

Ain't no easy days in the Whites :)  Stoat's first day hiking was from
Gorham to Imp. Then to Pinkham Notch. Then, Madison. Three pretty good days
of work for someone not in hike-shape.

> 4. What do you all think my hut strategy should be? I aint rich but
> neither am I broke, and I am mostly thinking in terms of the quality of
> the hike.  Would I be better to do almost all huts (say Zealand Falls
> Hut to Mizpah Hut to Madison Hut to Carter Notch Hut to Gorham) or few
> huts (say Garfield Ridge CS to Ethan Pond CS to Lakes of the Clouds Hut
> to Pinkham Notch Camp to Imp CS to Gorham)?

I'd go few huts. In fact, we did Imp, Bandit camp at Pinkham, Madison Hut,
Bandit camp between Franklin and Pierce, Ethan Pond, and then Garfield. Next
time through, I'll try to go no huts. I really liked the bandit camping.

> 5. Any huts to avoid? Any not to miss?

Avoid them all at night. Don't miss any during the day. We stopped at all
huts to get leftover food and coffee.

> 6. I know huts provide Din and Breakfast but do they also provide a
> hiker oriented lunch?

None that I saw. Lunch is essentially left over breakfast food...and, it's
usually cold. (You may not have that core hunger going anyway.)

> 10. Anything else I should be thinking about? What have I forgotten?

Take a lot of film, and then use it. The Presidents are incredible...even if
we don't have one. (Think of me and Patch when you cross the summit of
Madison.)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98