[at-l] About White Lies

It is that time of year when prudent employees give their employers
their leave plans. And I am wondering if this isn't the year to do the
Whites. So...

Some questions:

1. What is the best time to do the Whites? Ms Gorp told me late July.
What do others think? Mara? And especially, what conditions could I
expect next Labor Day, in early September? Will I need fleece in
September?

2. North to South or South to North? Why?

3. How far? 6 easy days would be Franconia Notch to Gorham, say 75
miles.
Or I could go for 100 miles and try Glencliff to Gorham. I expect to use

a week with both weekends and need to get there (from Northern by God
Virginia), get a shuttle, hike and get home.  I usually go 15+ miles per

day but I understand that the trail there is felt by some to be steep in

places. Climbing out of Franconia Notch looks worse than anything I have

done so far in 1400 miles of AT. Is 14 miles/day reasonable? My dry
summer pack weight is 15 pounds w/o food.

4. What do you all think my hut strategy should be? I aint rich but
neither am I broke, and I am mostly thinking in terms of the quality of
the hike.  Would I be better to do almost all huts (say Zealand Falls
Hut to Mizpah Hut to Madison Hut to Carter Notch Hut to Gorham) or few
huts (say Garfield Ridge CS to Ethan Pond CS to Lakes of the Clouds Hut
to Pinkham Notch Camp to Imp CS to Gorham)?

5. Any huts to avoid? Any not to miss?

6. I know huts provide Din and Breakfast but do they also provide a
hiker oriented lunch? The nice thing about hut resupply is the resultant

low pack weight.

7. Is there a place to stay near Crawford Notch? With a ride?

8. Any reasonable resupply options? Remember, a section hiker with
limited time cannot spend too much time getting to a store.

9. Is there safe (Ha!) parking at the road crossing near Gorham? At
Franconia Notch? In Glencliff? Do you have to pay a fee to park?
Can I park at Pinkham Notch so I can use the AMC shuttle system?

10. Anything else I should be thinking about? What have I forgotten?

- Gary from Fairfax, hoping to get past the 3/4 mark in 2001

PS - the other hikes will be Great Barrington to Cornwall Bridge,
Cornwall Bridge to RPH Shelter, and either Dicks Creek Gap to Wesser or
Newfound Gap to Wesser. Unless I get laid off, in which case I'll just
do one hike ;)

To:            "Charles W. Davidson" <wb4pan@mindspring.com>
Cc:            at-l@backcountry.net