[at-l] Fun in the sun (at 15F or so)

It is funny how over the years, the idea of fun evolves.  Before the age of 11 or 12, snow meant FUN!  Sledding, building snow forts, snowball fights, all until 4 o'clock or so when Mom would call my brothers and myself back into the house. My cheeks were all nice and rosy, the hot chocolate would taste good, and supper always tasted oh-so-yummy.

Then about 11 or 12, snow meant work. I no longer liked it! Being the oldest of three boys, I was the first (and always seemed to) have the ah,honor of shoveling  the driveway before Dad came home. Boo! Hiss!   A few years later when I started to drive, snow meant icy roads, scraping the car off, and having to leave that much earlier to get to work and school on time. Arggh!

But now, snow means fun again! Amazing what some nylon, polyester and wool can do to make the winter a time to play again (along with a different point of view from a little walk I took almost three years ago).

With that thought in mind, I headed up to Cameron Pass just north and west of Ft. Collins. This area is fantastic for x-country skiing.  I will admit this upfront, I am a klutz. It is why I usually snowshoe. Needless to say, my skiing technique is rather funny. Keep in mind, at six years old I broke my collar bone sledding. So going downhill in the snow does not have a succssful track record with me. :D  Anyway, stuck to the forest service roads, but had a great time.  THe air was crisp, the sun was bright. Due to bad weather back in town, there were hardly any people out.  All in all a good day.  And I only fell twice! (Which is really good for me when it comes to skiing..;-D )

So winter has become fun again. And just like when I was six or so, the hot cup of cocoa tasted oh so good, and the hot meal was looked forward to.  More snow on the way for this week...think I will do an overnight snow shoe trip...

My trip report for this week (sorry, no opinions about votes cast in Florida for this post. :O )....

Mags

To:            at-l@backcountry.net