RE: [at-l] the vote

No you won't be flamed for the message, as you did manage to avoid
mentioning TP, C*** P****s, umbrellas, and other forbidden topics. We
have the best list moderator going, Ryan. He knows enough to allow full
discussions with little editorial commentary (except to let us know
that bashing other web resources is tacky and tasteless). In many ways
this is a list of folks about a cyber campfire, chatting about sundry
items and keen to get back to topic whenever the opportunity arises.

Thee and me have similar reasons to pick up this sport. Walking and
oxgenating the synapses tends to help one figure out priorities and do
something other than complaining. You have plenty of reading material.
Mr. Bryson walked the section you are contemplating, commented
sparsely, but at least offers a few sage comments for sectioners such
as us. Just don't assume he was writing an entirely non-fiction book.

This and other lists (particularly BackpackingLight) are good for info
on lightweight hiking and gear choices. If you join BPL, please be
prepared to weigh and list all your current equipment (to the nearest
1/10 ounce) as an entry to the list. The commentary you get might sound
like flames, but they will burn tons off your back.

The vistas of the AT vary according to the time of year. Typically,
there is a green tunnel for much of the year. Take a walk on a warm
November day where you have previously walked. There will be quite some
differences. I couldn't believe the neat campsites of December that are
flower gardens on Leveland Mountain in late summer.

Welcome, even if you voted for the wrong guy. Poor Gus Hall, where are
you when we need a laugh?

Bill....