Re: [at-l] Before Baxter...figure why we're on list

<<Are we here for a sense of community we don't find in our regular lives?
Are we here for information about the activity we love? Are we here to live
vicariously through the tales of those who are actively hiking?>>

Yes, all of that and more, like posting our hike plans to see if anyone
wants to come, or telling our stories to an interested audience, or sharing
experiences funny and serious and instructional, or listening to someone
else laugh when we're having a bad day.  And having someone else post
something you never thought of before and thinking "Really?  Maybe I'll try
that!"

I spoke to Datto again yesterday... I think he was bored after so many days
in Millinocket :-)  He said when he walks into the restaurant for breakfast
he doesn't even order anymore... they just bring the usual.  He was headed
back to the Trail today.

We talked about his summit day.  I'll let him give you all the details when
he gets back on the list but he had quite a different insight from what
we've been talking about.  Here's how he described conditions the day he
hiked:  Sunny, clear, somewhat windy, gusts of up to 50MPH at the summit.
Could see forever.  NO snow at the summit.  NO ice on the trail AT ALL.
Some snow... 2-6 inches at lower elevations on Katahdin but well-packed
down.  NO problems climbing.  Now... based on that info, what kind of day
do you think they posted it as?  Class 4.  Really?  Yes, really.  He said
there has apparently been quite a bit of controversy going on this year
about this, because Baxter has had personnel cuts and wants to change the
thruhiker mindset to be that they MUST finish by Oct 15... because they
don't have staff to cover the days.

On another note, apparently there was some article published in a
Millinocket paper on Sat about the hikers from the 13th... anyone out there
know of this paper?  I don't even know the name.  But anyway, Datto was
quite pi**ed off about the descriptions of how irresponsible those hikers
were... I'd like to see the article.

It was interesting to hear the 'current thruhiker' perspective on all
that's going on.  And, while I'm sure there really are Class 4 days where
people should not be climbing, it's also interesting to hear the
description of Friday, which they deemed a class 4 day.

Twilight