Re: [at-l] Calling all herpetologists...

Milksnake was to be my guess, even before I saw your second post, Mara. Last
month while hiking in CT I saw a snake similar to the one you described. My
hiking partner thought it might be a Copperhead, but I was skeptical, mainly
due to the shape/size of the head.  I was curious enough to stop off at a
bookstore on the way home, and after consulting several field guides decided
it was a milk snake. (Hmmmm  Milk snake is awful close to MIlk shake....makes
me hungry)   A good point to keep in mind is the shape of a pit viper's
(which includes Copperheads and Rattlers) head is broad and rather triangular.
            Tina