Re: [at-l] "old-timer"

In a message dated 10/3/2000 7:30:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
hudsom@us.ibm.com writes:

<< ...'72 was probably the year we took a family picnic over at Mt Greylock
in Mass...these dirty, smelly hikers came out of the woods...and we all
thought this "thru-hiking" was the stupidest thing we ever heard of, but
somehow these hikers planted the bug in a twelve year old... >>

It was around 1972 (when I was 16) that I decided to thru-hike, also.  But it
might have been a year or two earlier...not sure.  In any case, I was hiking
in the Whites and met a thru-hiker.  He had started in Georgia.  First time
the concept of hiking that far had ever entered my mind.  I was entranced.
And decided right then and there to do it, myself, some day.  Little did I
think it would be almost 30 years before I would.

I've often wondered who that thru-hiker was, and wished I could identify
him...to thank him for planting that seed that turned into a wonderful
life-long dream.  Who knows?  Maybe it was you, Alejandro.  If so, thank you.

-- Walkabout GAME'99