Re: [at-l] Hiked away yesterday

Got out to the (Florida) Trail this weekend for a couple of hikes...I was honored to participate in the Grand Opening of the USA's first Land Bridge on Saturday, which carries the Florida Trail (and several other trails) over I-75 in Marion County, where I grew up. I was one of three representative hikers to first cross the bridge, under the glare of the cameras and all... and damned if the horse people (excuse me, equestrians) didn't race out ahead of us hikers and have their horses poop on the bridge before anyone else could cross it. (Sigh) Still, a great sunny day and wonderful achievement for the bridge to open.

On Sunday, Rich and I continued our trek around Central Florida on the "Big 360," a loop of the Florida Trail circling Orlando. Out of 9.5 miles hiked (4 of which was roadwalk) we managed to see 8 deer, a barred owl up close and personal, a few turtles, red-tailed hawk, 5 armadillo (including one that shot 2 feet in the air when it sensed our approach), and several dozen vultures who were perturbed at our approach as they tore apart a deer. All in all, a great hike... and now we've hiked into Christmas (FL, that is). Less than 300 miles of section hiking to go...

Life is good when you're outdoors. See you next weekend!
Navigator