[at-l] 13 Day AT Hike

Hi John - I know that you already have plenty of response, and I may be
repeating some others, but here is my two scents:

1. October 11
Amicalola Falls State Park to Black Gap Shelter: 7.3

2. October 12
Black Gap Shelter to Hawk Mountain Shelter: 9 miles

*** Lunch at Long Creek Falls...

3. October 13
Hawk Mountain Shelter to Gooch Gap Shelter: 8.5

***  This is your first butt kicker day (okay, maybe the approach trail
tested you a bit<g>)...

*** There are two blue blazes up to the Gooch Gap shelter.  The first is a
step uphill.  You can get to the second by hiking almost to the forest
service road.  This one is much less of a climb, and shorter.  If you know
of others heading for the shelter that would have arrived before you, don't
even bother heading up, for it is a small shelter.  There is ample tenting
before and after the road.  I prefer across the road...

4. October 14
Gooch Gap Shelter, re-supply at Walasi-Yi Center & just LOOK at all their
GEAR, to Wood's Hole Shelter: 10.5

*** The Walisi-Yi is at Neels Gap, not Woody Gap...

5. October 15
Wood's Hole Gap to Whitley Gap Shelter: 10.3

*** Lunch and shopping at Neels Gap...

*** Another butt kicker of a day...

*** Pass on by the Whitley Gap shelter (that is down a LONG side trail).
Tent just prior to the side trail, or continue until just before the road,
then turn right to find level tentsites, and Coosa's jugs (water jugs, that
is<g>)...

6.October 16
Whitley Gap Shelter to Blue Mountain Shelter: 11.6

*** Schizo day - starts with a washboard - then a very serene forest road -
then another washboard...

7. October 17
Blue Mountain Shelter Tray Mountain Shelter: 7.7

*** Your first real knee buster descent, down to Unicoi Gap...

8. October 18
Tray Mountain Shelter to Hiawassee for re-supply, post office and possible
day off: 10.6

*** Why not stay the night at Deep Gap shelter, then hike into town the next
day, saving the expense of one of the motel nights.  After all, today's hike
is up and over infamous Kelley Knob, a butt kicker supreme...

9. October 19
Day Off stay at Mull's Motel

*** I think others have convinced you to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.
Keep in mind that the "hiker rate" this year was $59 plus tax.  Worth every
penny to a weary hiker...

10. October20
Hiawassee to Muskrat Shelter: 10.5

11. October 21
Muskrat Shelter to Carter Gap Shelter: 12.5

12. October 22
Carter Gap Shelter to Rock Gap Shelter: 12.1

13. October 23
Rock Gap Shelter to Franklin, NC: 3.8

Ron Richards & I will be leaving a car in Franklin and the other near
Springer.   Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

*** Hopefully you didn't mean that you are leaving your car in Franklin.
That would require you to hitch to where your car is.  Leave your car at
Winding Stair Gap, or at the Rainbow Springs Campground, or at Rock Gap.  If
you leave a car at Rock Gap (or Rainbow Springs), then you can reduce your
mileages for the last four days.  Forget the 12 mile days, and enjoy the
Standing Indian Wilderness...

John O