Re: [at-l] corn pasta revisited

Fellow chefs;
	It is all in the way it is cooked. Pasta should be dropped into lots of
boiling water to be cooked  correctly. Most back packers tend to give up
perfectly cooked pasta to save time, fuel and who wants to carry a pot
that big! When you put pasta in cold water and then heat it, it tends to
get gooey. Also if you cook pasta too long it becomes an ever expanding
gooey mess.
	Corn Pasta does this much worse than the standard no food value,
bleached white flour type pasta we normally eat. Also it goes gooey
quickly if cooked too long. Corn pasta has much more go power than the
semolina stuff. I think it is worth the extra effort and fuel that may
be required to use it. Get the water very hot first. Watch the cooking
corn pasta closely and when it is at the desired tenderness remove it
from the heat. Remember it will continue to cook while it sits in a hot
pot. So if your recipe requires 5 min. sitting time, then you should
remove the pasta from heat before it is completely done. Corn pasta like
regular pasta has very little taste. If cooked correctly it will have
almost the same consistency as regular pasta.

It all in the wrist!

chase