[at-l] Re: [HATT] Indian / Thai Food for the Trail

I've never tried these ... but will ...
I like curries and spices on the trail and typically, for a week-end trip, will take an onion or two, garlic, and spice packets to add to whatever I'm cooking. On my HATT hike I experimented with frozen lamb ... I removed it from the freezer on Thursday at noon and left for the hills. I ate the first packet on Friday night and the second on Saturday night.
The first packet of frozen meat I left for spicing and cooking on the trail. The second one I pre-spiced and added garlic and onions before freezing it in a triple wrapped zip lock. I wrapped them together in newspaper, opening the newspaper only twice, once to get some cheese out on Friday for a snack; and again on Friday night to cook the first batch.
You can buy ready mixed spices for different curries in Indo/Pak stores and Iranian or Persian stores. The whole packet is good for a family meal, so you don't need to use the whole thing in a small cook pot. One packet will last for two week-end trips, depending on how spicey you like your curry.
You can also buy the spices ready mixed in jars. I use this in the frozen, pre-made curries I take.
I'd also recommend the "tea" or "milk" or "chai" spices you can get in packets ready mixed. This sweet, milked, tea or chai makes a great breakfast or a nice warm up after a cold and wet hike in the evening.