Re: [at-l] Pinworms at Priest Spring

Pinworms are a fairly common human parasite. Usually you can tell kids
have it by figiting in their seats with itchy butts. It is usually a
fecal/oral infection model. Back in residency and medical school we
would make the diagnosis by getting the kid to sleep nude in the dark,
and either shine a light on the problem or put a bit of Scotch tape on
the problem. You would see the little wormies wiggle.

And they are simply little worms. Tape worms would be a bigger worry,
as they are very voracious eaters and cause significant weight loss.

Given the water situation at the Priest Shelter right next to the
shelter, I'd never trust that water without filtering. That would be
one of the few areas that I'd consider Iodine as a primary treatment.
There is a privy, but there are also lazy campers. I know one guy who
left a wet Coolmax shirt there last year. ;-)

Bill....

BTW, I hiked thru that area last fall during the race. Please ask the
folks to be careful with car and truck placement to avoid hiding
blazes.