[at-l] An Intro, an apology, and a few questions

First, I want to shed my lurking status and say "Hi!"

Hi!

I'm Ryan, 29, a once and future section hiker (about three weeks in the
future). I'm lucky enough to have my wife heading off with me.

Now, for the apology (and the "once" part of "once and future section
hiker.") I was a Boy Scout. During the summers of 1986 to 1988, about 10
people from troop went hiking on the LT (I guess I only need to do about 75
more miles). For the most part, in retrospect, I feel that we had good
trail manners: we always left shelters for solo hikers, made pleasant
conversation with others we met, always cleaned up after ourselves, and
generally followed Leave No Trace ideals.

However, we made total jerks out of ourselves in the shelter registers. We
would always go on for a page or two about the most idiotic, uhh, clap
trap. Anyway, to those people whose journals they were, I apologize.

Okay, with that out of the way, I do have several questions.

My wife and I will be hiking northbound Vermont and New Hampshire (from
Danby-Landgrove Rd to Mt. Layfayette). I'm wondering about camping off the
trail between Hexacuba Shelter and Jeffers Brook. Is there a good place?

We still need a stove. How hard to operate is an MSR Whisperlite Shaker
Jet? Does a SnoPeak GigaPower use only SnoPeak fuel canisters?

Plate vs. bowl vs. a big cup? I'm leaning towards a bowl and a cup, but I
could definitely see the wisdom of just a big cup, and I'm wondering what
other people do.

Well, thanks for reading :)

Ryan

--
Our Saturn stinks! http://www.erols.com/rnkoneil
GM's for The O'Neill Armstrongs and The Verbs! They're CRAPTACULAR!