[at-l] chaffing

I have found that one of the key components of the chaffing problem is the
dirtiness of the clothing which touches the chaffed area, ie. the crotch.
Even washing your shorts and/or underwear (who wears it while hiking?) in
plain water provides some help.  I have this problem every year and have
tried powder, vasoline, etc., and the only thing that really helps is
getting some semblance of cleanliness in the shorts, as hard as that may be.