[at-l] Interesting journal entry

So as not to risk copywrite violation (?) I will simply point you to

http://trailplace.com/cgi-bin/miva?index_tp.mv+mode=Index&fileid=954908934

or if that doesn't work for you, go to Trailplace and read the "Journal of
Patrick Martino ... July 11 ~ Bears Den Hostel (milepoint 982.2)" in the 2000
Thru hikers journals.

He isn't one of those that gloss over the trials and tribulations of the
Trail and speak only in glowing terms of the wonders of it all.  He also
gives a thru hikers perspective somewhat of Bill Brysons book.  He
demonstrates how to point out an aggravation that another hiker caused
without using the name, which I've noticed this year that a lot of the
journalists on Trailplace are doing with too much frequency for my taste.
And he mentions one of my favorite hostels  - I remember that chess set! <g>.
 Anyway - I just enjoyed that entry, it was filled with a bit of the reality
of the fact that just because you've hiked almost a thousand miles doesn't
mean you breeze thru the rest of it.  A reality check, of sorts, as to what
all you thru hikers on the list have endured and overcome to realize your
dream.  Those of us who plan to do it some day don't really see this side of
it too often.  The section hikers that do large sections at a time know
better, probably.  But those of us who do weekends and 3 or 4 days at a time,
rarely in horrible weather, really can't know the reality of what it is like.
 It's a whole different world when you know that no matter how bad it is,
you'll be back in your own bed in (however many days).  Part of it, too, is
that he didn't just point out the bad things.  There were good things that
day too.  I can't vouch for the rest of the journal, I haven't read it.  But
I thought that this was an entry that stood out from many.

It is no wonder that so few of the people who start the Trail finish - and my
hat (HATT?) is off to all of you who have made it.

The Redhead