Re: [at-l] Interesting SMNP tale

--- trypticon <trypticon@msn.com> wrote:
> He told me that they have a ranger up there that hiked
> from Fontana to Cosby in one day - and the only reason he left the trail
> before Davenport was because of the rain.
>
> As William Riker would say, "fact or fiction...?"

### I don't *know*, but my (weak) bet is that he's all wet. One of our
reknowned listers, David Horton, is a world-class ultra-marathoner. His
record-breaking 1991 through-trot of the AT was the quickest till 1999, at
something under 50 days. He and some friends did the GSMNP-AT recently
(February??) in around 24 or 48 hours. Check the at-l archives or ask David
directly at www.davidhorton.net or (I think) runhorton@simplenet.com ...
something like that.
If he and cohorts did it in around 24, then I'd say it's very possible. If
the Horton party time was 48 hours, then IIiiiii doubt it.

Secondly, imagine you're the ranger, and you've just humped (roughly) 70
continuous miles. You're going to turn off at Cosby, roughly 7-10 miles (2
flat, the rest downhill) to completion, to hump the 3 downhill miles to the
camp ground? IIiiiii doubt it.

Something don't smell quite right, but then, when you do something like that,
ANYTHING can change your mind. You're a hair away from "total system
shutdown." (Gatorade or no.) (Sorry. But if *I* didn't, then someone would.)

Dat's my take, anywho.
Toe'd

=====
"The tragedy of man is not that a man dies,
     but what dies within a man while he's still alive."

               Mind your soul.