Re: [at-l] Question on Direction

You can still have a fairly solitary experience as a Northbounder if you
start early, avoid towns as much as possible, and keep a good pace on the
whole trail (avoiding the "packs" that tend to crop up in towns).

The only time I ever saw more than 6 thru-hikers at one time was in
Maine, when a shelter had 13 people in it...all SOUTHBOUNDERS. :D

FWIW, I stated on Feb 28, finished August 1st, and took 10 zero mileage
days. I also tented a fair amount (another way of having a solitary
experience on the AT).

Whichever direction you decide on, and however you decide to "hike your
own hike", you will probably find it a very rewarding experience.

Me
LT '97 & '99
AT GA-ME '98
Actually working for a change 2000
Was the IAT, then the PCT, but now Italy 2001****

*** check out www.guarcino.8m.com/main.html
   Now corresponding with the Webmaster of this site. Once I found  this
site, and started learning stories about my great-grandfather. Also
learned about  his brother, and my great-great grandfather (both were
"Guardia comunale campestre", or the rough equivalent of rangers/game
wardens...kinda cool considering what I like to do from time to time ;-D
), figured a trek through the Appenines was in order. The PCT ain't going
anywhere, but  the chance to learn about my family history and visit
where my family came  from,  gets more and more difficult with each
passing year. That is the plan, anyways. :D
Well...enough rambling. Happy 4th o' July everyone.

I am going away....to an unknown country where I shall have no past
and no name, and where I shall be born again  with a new face and an
untried heart.
--Colette
multipart/alternative
  text/html