Re: [at-l] GSMNP AT & Miscellany

CP:

I'm posting this to the list also, 'cause there might be a few
interested in it.

have you got the NPS acrobat map?  It's not bad.

goto : http://www.nps.gov/carto/

I'd hate to do 12 miles a day!  I tried to do that on the lake shore
and wore myself out.  I had to shorten the trip.  even managed to
hitchhike on a boat one day.  that was fun.   I still would recommend
no more than 8-10 / day.  but, that's me.

Your 1st day will be rough!  maybe birch springs (a nasty shelter
these days).  Mollies ridge might be doable if you hump.  Spence field
is one of my favorites.  I'd hate to miss that one. It's a great
chance you will see bear there.  I have an old photo at :
http://www2.netdoor.com/~tjfort/  I usually allow a day for the hike
between spence and derrick knob.  It's a rough hike.  the hike down to
68 is VERY steep.  but 68 is a great spot. 71, 75, 83 & 90 are all
nice spots.  I got lost between 90 & 88.  took me all day to get
through the blow downs. (hopefully they have cleared that by now)
any where on lake shore is nice.  But, lakeshore is a little hard to
follow sometimes. it's all low altitude lake walks.  HOT & BUGGY!
The hazel creek area is really nice.  It's an old town with roads,
buildings, fences and all.  but, you'll miss it if you don't go
lakeshore via 86

there are a couple of alternates you could use as ways to shorten the
trip if you get going and decide it's taking to long.    look at the
welch ridge trail with it's two creak branches.  or you can take the
ridge trail to lakeshore and shorten your trip.  you can always drive
to clingman's dome.   My brother claims he use to camp at high rocks.
so there must be water there somewhere.   Cold spring gap is
interesting.  It's nothing but rocks and an old creek bed.  It must be
the worst uphill in the entire park.  But, you'll be going down hill
on it.  so watch your footing

there are lots of nice big loops if you don't limit yourself to
fontana.  there's the elkmont/tremont area, deep creak, or cataloochee
(really nice!).

there is no bad hike in the smokies.    you WILL have loads of fun and
memories.

t.