[at-l] back to Colorado.....

Back in the land of of the the Rockies after a visit back to Rhody...

Want to thank everyone who e-mailed me their condolences. My grandfather
was a quiet man, who never seemed to lose patience , and was well liked
by everyone who knew him. When my life comes to an end, hope the same
could be said of me.

For those who wondered what Nina is up to, I haven't a clue. She was
supposed to hit the White House Landing today for a maildrop...

In hiking news, I actually did  manage a brief overnighter (kind of! :D)
in the Whites. My good buddy Tim picked me up at Logan Airport in
Beantown, we then drove up to the Whites and stayed at a carcampground
and hit a pub in N. Woodstock, I am sure many meaningful things were said
over the pints of black and tans... The friendly bartender did tell us a
Noreaster was on the way.....

The next day, we grabbed some breakfast in Lincoln, and puttered around
town to kill sometime.
We then started our climb  up Mt. Liberty.  I can now say first hand,
"hills" they may be by Western standards, but darn if those "hills" don't
give a tough climb....  It was nice to be on the AT again.  Naturally, it
started to rain a bit on the way up.  Just after the junction where the
AT splits from the blue blazed trail that lead to Liberty's summit, we
found a tent site well into the woods and out of sight.  We then climbed
to the summit to see a lovely view of the valley, and the fog shrouded
summits of the Presies and the Franconia Ridge. It also started to sleet!
 It was not quite 1 in the afternoon. My buddy gets a grin on his
face..hmm "Tim..what are you thinking?" .."If we left NOW we could be at
the car by 3 PM, back in Rhode Island by 6...and be at Dave's by 7 ..."
  Dave's Bar and Grill?!?!?!? Good, cheap beer! Good, cheap food!  Many
hours have been spent in that favorite watering hole...  My reply "So,
why are we on this mountain freezing our *ss off??!!?!?"....  By 1:30 PM,
we were all packed up...by 2:45 we were at the car.. Not too bad for
going downhill on a fairly steep mtn. :D     By the time we hit Rhode
Island, it was a massive downpour..can only imagine what it was like at
4,000+ feet in the White Mountains...

So we did an over night trip...just did  it in one day. ;-)

The rest of my "trip" report is rather boring...safe to say the end
result is a few extra pounds I did not have BEFORE the trip...time to do
some more hiking...

Mags

I am going away....to an unknown country where I shall have no past
and no name, and where I shall be born again  with a new face and an
untried heart.
--Colette