Re: [at-l] Frogg Toggs don't gots pockets!

[snip]

> I'm wondering "aloud thinking" if in our desire to cut ounces and buy the
> lightest gear, we've not overlooked, in some cases, some of the
"amenities"
> or "necessities" or "niceties" that made the original heavier gear
> desirable.
>
> For lightness do we sacrifice breathablity with pit zips and chest zips?

How much pit zips help is a bit controversial.  From my own experience, I
would take a jacket (full front zipper) without pit zips over an Anorak
(partial front zipper) with pit zips any day of the week.

> For lightness do we sacrifice a pocket to carry our gloves or gorp?

My pants have pockets.  I don't really need them in my jacket too.

> For lightness do we sacrifice the time and concern it takes to be sure we
> don't abraid the fabric?

I've worn "micro supplex" pants for several years and never worried about
abrading the fabric.  When they wear out I'll repair or replace them.

> For lightness do we sacrifice the ability to "field repair" with duct
tape?

How does this affect lightness?  I've never heard anyone suggest not
bringing some duct tape along.

> For lightness do we sacrifice better workmanship and stitching?

I don't see how lightness has anything to do with workmanship and stitching.
Jack Stephenson makes a jacket out of siliconized nylon that weighs almost
nothing and, if it is like his other stuff, has beautiful workmanship and
stitching.  It isn't even all that expensive (though I don't have one).  You
can find badly made light stuff, and badly made heavy stuff.

There's also a question of gear "lifetime."  I don't own a Frogg Toggs
jacket, but I suspect a three-ply Goretex jacket (or a coated nylon jacket
for that matter) would last longer.  On the other hand, I can buy three or
four Frogg Toggs jackets for the price of one Goretex one, and if the jacket
is durable enough in actual use I don't really see a problem.

> For short term and section hiking, one can get away with some of the
things
> that could prove disastrous on a long hike.
> What is the final cost of all this "light" gear if it doesn't withstand
the
> "normal" use of a backpacker.

But lots of folks have hiked the PCT and AT with ultralight gear.  Other
than running shoes and snow, I haven't heard of a lot of problems.

> Is there a "happier medium" between the superlight "temporary" or
> "occasional use" items and the heavy-duty Expedition weight clothing and
> gear?

I don't know that you've got the right dichotomy there.  For example, I
suspect that if you were going "Jardine style" ultralight and found that you
wanted pockets on your jacket, that Ray Jardine would suggest that you sew
some on.  The whole point is to match your gear to your needs as efficiently
as possible.

All I know is that I find "ultralight" hiking easier and more comfortable
than the "traditional lightweight" way I used to go.  Now, I've never been
out for more than eight or nine days (though I'll get a two weeker in this
summer), but the ultralight techniques (Ray Jardine, Lynne Wheldon, etc.)
were ALL the result of extensive individual experiences with long distance
hiking.

If anything, I'd say that the "expedition weight" gear is better suited to
weekend or group hiking that long distance use.  For example, when I go out
with a group from my local ADK chapter, I know that we'll be going around
8-10 miles a day and spending a lot of time talking in camp.  For that style
of hiking weight matters a lot less, and being able to sit comfortably
around a fire ring matters a lot more.  Also, if you're not used to sleeping
on a thin foam mat (or if your body doesn't get used to sleeping on one)
then it makes a lot of sense to pack a thermarest.  Heck, I could easily see
myself packing a thermarest and a chair kit on a weekend hike... that chair
would feel awfully nice while chatting with folks at the end of the day.  As
I said before, the whole point is to match your gear to your needs as
efficiently as possible!

-- Jim