Re: [at-l] Frogg Toggs don't gots pockets!

>> For lightness do we sacrifice the ability to "field repair" with duct
>tape?
>How does this affect lightness?  I've never heard anyone suggest not
>bringing some duct tape along.

***ever trued to repair silnylon with duct tape?

>> For lightness do we sacrifice better workmanship and stitching?

>There's also a question of gear "lifetime."  <snip> On the other hand, I
can buy three or
>four Frogg Toggs jackets for the price of one Goretex one, and if the
jacket
>is durable enough in actual use I don't really see a problem.
***what if the gear blows out while you're 15 miles from the nearest
trailhead or when a sudden coldsnap comes thru?   There have been comments
posted here about certain gear, $70 backpack comes to mind, and other gear
that had seams that blew out under 'weekend use' or section use.  Does
happen and is more likely to happen if the materials used are so lightweight
that they can't keep a seam or can't really haul the weight.  Any gear is
subject.  Even the expensive heavy stuff, and if you compare gear made of
200 denier vs gear made of 1.1 silnylon, the sil is less likely to hold up.
as always ymmv.

>> For short term and section hiking, one can get away with some of the
>things
>> that could prove disastrous on a long hike.
>> What is the final cost of all this "light" gear if it doesn't withstand
>the
>> "normal" use of a backpacker.
>
>But lots of folks have hiked the PCT and AT with ultralight gear.  Other
>than running shoes and snow, I haven't heard of a lot of problems.

***Not all light weight gear is equal.  Buyer Beware.

>> Is there a "happier medium" between the superlight "temporary" or
>> "occasional use" items and the heavy-duty Expedition weight clothing and
>> gear?
>
>I don't know that you've got the right dichotomy there.  For example, I
>suspect that if you were going "Jardine style" ultralight and found that
you
>wanted pockets on your jacket, that Ray Jardine would suggest that you sew
>some on.  The whole point is to match your gear to your needs as
efficiently
>as possible.

***I don't make my own gear, don't plan to, don't plan to sew pockets where
there are none -- I buy "off the rack" and I find that AmericanCamper gear
doesn't begin to compare with Eureka, given similar item.  You can put other
low-end vs medium-end vs high-end items on a chart and the medium and high
ends will fare much  better.

>All I know is that I find "ultralight" hiking easier and more comfortable
>than the "traditional lightweight" way I used to go<snip>
 the ultralight techniques (Ray Jardine, Lynne Wheldon, etc.)
>were ALL the result of extensive individual experiences with long distance
>hiking.

***I too enjoy light/ultralight hiking and am a devotee of Lynne Whelden and
Thrus who stay at my house are mandated to watch his
_Lightweight_Backpacking_Secrets_Revealed_ video.

Each person who tests the waters of lightweight and ultralight weight MAY
decide that 1.1 sylnylon isn't the answer and 1.9 ripstop is.  Or they may
decide that a jacket with pit zips at 12 ounces and a life expectancy of 10
years is a better investment over the long haul than something else with a
life expectancy of one or two seasons.  (ymmv depending on the locale and
weather conditions)

>If anything, I'd say that the "expedition weight" gear is better suited to
>weekend or group hiking that long distance use.<snip>
***Personally, I don't think that expedition gear belongs on anyone but
Everest and Denali and K2 and other 14,000 footer expeditions, but again
ymmv.  and again, bring your own sherpa.  lol

 As
>I said before, the whole point is to match your gear to your needs as
>efficiently as possible!
>
>-- Jim

***Yes, Jim, I wholeheartedly agree.  Each matches the gear to his or her
own needs --- and pocketbook of course.

Cc:            <at-l@backcountry.net>
From:          "Coosa" <coosa@fox21.net>
Date:          Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:48:47 -0400
Subject:       Re: [at-l] Frogg Toggs don\'t gots pockets!

Beachbum wrote:

>The bottom line...for everyone, including Coosa. She's questioning the
ideas for her.

ACTUALLY, yes and no.  I'm questioning so that others can also question --
and it's a good discussion thread!

Coosa