[at-l] Food pack weight

SaraSW@aol.com wrote:

I'm not Tim but can I kick in here?  Hike-USA is doing food
drops for a
guy that lost a pound a day for his first month on the
Trail.
And he really couldn't stand to loose any more.
I swear this kid has a tapeworm or else he had a real
problem
getting enough food squeezed into his little pack.  His
instincts
and prior experience led him to want to double up on the
noodles in
a bag or mac&cheese but even that wasn't doing it.  I got
him into
Squeeze margarine, cheese and high fat snacks which seem to
be working
better.  Think twice about any food that doesn't deliver
1500 cals
per pound (with muchof that from fat).

Think peanutbutter or tahini @3000 calories  per pound 60%
fat
squeeze parkay@2100 calories per lb all from fat
Compared to mac&cheese at 1300 per pound 10% fat
lipton noodles in a bag @ 1400 per pound 20% fat.

All figures are from memory and subject to my bad
math....but
think about it.  You may find that you can get by with half
the weight of mac&cheese if you pack some squeeze... and it
tastes
good too.
Why high fat?  I'm no nutritionist so I'm not talking about
metabolization and such, but it seems to be that high fat
food
are more "satisfying" that high sugar foods.
I'm not saying to try and live on squeeze Parkey, it seems
that
a couple ounces of squeeze on yer noodles may do more for
you
than doubling up on the noodles.  Same goes for your oatmeal
or
grits.  You can save 20% in supper and breakfast entree
weight this
way if it works for you.

Other calorically dense foods:
French fried onion rings in a can
French fried potato sticks in a can
Double stuff Oreos or any creme filled cookies as long as it
doesn't say Low Fat <g<
Anything by Little Debbie (ahhhh..Little Debbie...the girl
even female
hikers dream of <VVBG>)
Nido dried milk...it's whole milk...not low fat and if
anyone
knows where I can buy some please LMK.
Carnation Malted Milk (1600 per pd  10%fat) packs more cal
than Quik.
But Land o'Lakes Cocoa Classics blows them both outta the
water with about 160 cals per 1.4 oz pk and about 30% fat!!
Dried fruit is also good
and nuts of course

> So starting a 5-day hike, I'd have four pounds of water and about 10 of food.
Hmmmm.....think of this.  a five day hike is really a four
day hike if
you eat before you leave and are starved when ya hit the
car.
You don't really need breakfast on day one or supper on day
five.
Should save at least a pound or 10%.

BTW....shopping for this Walking Tapeworm <g> has been a
cinch
for me.  I just buy him everything I wouldn't dream of
eating <VVVBG>

And of course, thru hikers look at food much differently
than
most of us more casual hikers.  I knew a hiker that did PA
on
PB and sardines..period....yuck