[at-l] NC Odor

> Gutsy writes:
> <<  When I was hiking in North Carolina I smelled
something that
smelled like
> souring apples. I didn't see any plants that were
flowering nearby.
This
> weekend at Table Rock I smelled the same thing.  >>
>  I love puzzles! Hmmmmmm... Outdoor Stills operate
in the Fall, after
the
> apple crop, so 'shine can be ruled out. Could it
have been air
pollution?
> Paper mills smell awful!
>  I'd say you were smelling what you thought you
were- Apples.
Probably
> discarded cores or peelings from someone's lunch.
> (or mebbe it's time to wash your pack!) :O)

Gutsy, are you SURE what you smell is not the same as
my sneakers, before they were soaked for 2 hours in
hot water and bleach, then washed for 2 cycles at Bear
Mtn??  They sort of smelled like something rotting....

(Gutsy and I hiked together from PA to ME in 1996.)

GEO