Re: [at-l] Cell Phones revistied

In a message dated 05/13/2000 12:58:01 PM EDT, goinggoinggone@webtv.net
writes:

<< Why a cell-phone? We are all aware of the lack of reliability, and in
 Marges' case, it would have ( probably ) been out of the question for
 her to get to a high-point in hopes of getting the transmission to a
 cell-tower. If someone is going to carry the weight of an emergency
 communicator and its' batteries, why not get the requisite license and a
 handheld transceiver that is capable of ground to air transmission. I
 don't pretend to know all the regs that pertain to this, but it's only
 logical that the quickest way to get help enroute would be to transmit
 up, rather than laterally. Thank God that she survived and is healing...

There have been a LOT of news reports of people useing cell phones to get
help, while on the mountains.