Re: [at-l] Water Water Water

I think the numbers are incorrect. Remember there are other ways of losing
water, including exhalation of a 100% humidity breath. Total water loss is
hard to quantify as it varies with heat, humidity, heat acclimation,
activity, and other individual factors.  Also, one can absorb much more
than 1 liter of water per hour. That is how I see patients with low sodium
(dangerous hyponatremia) from water binges or SIADH (syndrome of
inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone).

But the conclusion is correct. The time to deal with dehydration is before
the activity - via prevention. It is a great idea to hit the water before
the activity, rather than trying to play catch up. Flavoring and other
strategies can help encourage more water use. This is true whether you are
newbie, elite, military, spectator, or Indian Chief.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA