Re: [at-l] Water Water Water

Folks,

Can you validate the following dehydration trivia?

The human body, during heavy exertion, can sweat 2 liters of
water per hour.

The human body can absorb 1 liter of water per hour.

Therefore, during extended periods of heavy exertion, you can become
dehydrated even though you are drinking like crazy.  Long rest periods
are required in order to rehydrate.

Can't remember where I saw this.  Backpacker maybe.  Anybody
know if its fact or fiction?

Thanks,
Stargazer

At 03:20 PM 05/04/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>No war stores,or "bs", just facts.
>
>Wildbill
>
>WATER, DEHYDRATION, AND SALT
>
>Water: Approximately 75 percent of the human body is fluid. A loss of
>fluid of two quarts (2.5 percent of body weight) decreases efficiency by
>25 percent and a loss of fluid equal to 15 percent of body weight is
>usually fatal.
>
>FILTERS OF ALL KINDS NEED TO BE CHECKED OFTEN!
>

>POTABLE (DRINKABLE) WATER IS THE MOST BASIC NEED IN THE DESERT. It is
>vital to ensure that there is no possibility of nonpotable (bad) water
>being mistaken for drinking water. Water that is not fit to drink, but
>not otherwise dangerous (it may have too much salt), may be used to aid
>cooling. It can be used to wet clothing so that the body does not use so
>much of its internal supply.
>
>Issued water containers must be carried only for drinking water.
>Sufficient water must be carried on a vehicle to last you until the next
>planned resupply, plus a small reserve. In desert terrain, approximately
>9 quarts of water per man per day is needed. When active, leaders need
>to force drinking of 2 quarts of water per hour.
>
>It is a good idea to erect shade for water trailers--it lets the water
>stay much cooler.
>
>You must train not to waste water. Water that has been used for washing
>socks, for example, is perfectly good for a vehicle cooling system.
>
>Drinking water must be taken only from approved sources to avoid disease
>or water that may have been polluted. Care must be taken to guard
>against polluting water sources. If rationing is in effect, water should
>be issued under close supervision of officers, noncommissioned officers,
>and designated leaders.
>
>You cannot be trained to adjust permanently to a reduced water intake.
>An acclimated soldier will need as much, if not more, water because he
>sweats more readily. If the ration is not sufficient, there is no
>alternative but to reduce physical activity or to restrict it to the
>cooler parts of the day.
>
>In very hot conditions, it is better to take smaller amounts of water
>more often than to take large amounts occasionally. Drinking large
>amounts causes waste by excessive sweating and might cause heat cramps.
>As activity increases, you should drink more water. The best drinking
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]