Re: [at-l] Offline? was Dehydration, Should be Rehydration

Actually, this discussion is an example of what is best about this list,
particularly so in light of the probability that the "heat wave" of the
last several summers is likely to be repeated. We have two very
experienced hikers with similarly extensive understandings of metabolism
and ion transfer who have a slightly different view of how to maintain
healthy hydration under physical stress, and somewhere inbetween this
difference of opinion lies the accurate answer. I wonder how many
newbies who are following this discussion about a topic that they may
not have given adequate attention too will be spared discomfort or even
illness by at least being made aware of the signs and symptoms of
dehydration. Now, what I want to know is, will stirring my gatorade
laced H2O with a Steri-Pen change the electrolytic ratios, and, what
about our traildogs: are there any veterinarians out there who know
whether Fido is better off with plain ole water, or is an electrolyte
solution appropriate for four legged hikers?

Al

" When I was a boy, I was told that anyone could become President; I'm
beginning to believe it." - Clarence Darrow