Re: [at-l] Tell me a story...

--- Pat Villeneuve <patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu> wrote:
> If this gets rolling, I'll put down the strapping tape long enough to add >
one of my own.

CHAPTER 1. CONFRONTATIONS

BAM! It shook her chest. The wind whistled again through every fissure in
every branch on every tree across the crowded forest ridge. KRACK! BAM! She
jumped, the lightning flashing white through the leanto's walls, etching her
brain with sharp horizontal slashes. "Again!" she thought, "Damn it!" She
tightened the fetal hug on her knees, and flashed a serious thought about
bringing her hands to her ears and possibly blocking out the horrific
crashes. The response from what remained of reason in her brain quietly told
her that she needed to know the particulars of where the lightning struck,
what damage it did, and when danger might come from a falling tree, and the
only way to know was to remain totally, painfully, aware of each decibel of
each strike, and listen carefully to what followed.

BAM! Flash of white hot. Instinct pressed her toes down hard against the
floor boards, and her spine up rubbed hard against a log of the rear wall.
Her sleeping bag was of little help here, and despite her fright, she
wondered if she weren't harming it just now.

Neeeeext?

=====
Sloetoe

"And yet we shouldn't have needed the cataclysm to love life
today. It would have been enough to think that we are humans,
and that death may come this evening."   Marcel Proust, 1922.