[at-l] Hike Report Part 5

Wednesday, April 19th

Cloudy this morning when we awoke at 6:00 AM.  Breakfast and cleanup was
efficient since we had an 11 mile day.  We had to walk through Falls Village
so some of the kids were hoping to find phones to call friends and family at
home.  We left camp by 8:00 AM.  The morning portion of the hike was pretty
easy.  We met for a break at Hang Glidder View.  From the view we watched
midget racers going around Lime Rock Race Track about a mile to our
northwest.
    John and I left camp first today just to change the routine.  We had Eric
take up the sweep position for the morning.  Some of the group caught up with
us about 10 AM at the Hang Glidder launch site.  We waited for the rest of
the group.  And found that Lori was having a tough time.  By favoring her bad
leg she was stressing her good leg and her good knee was giving her a lot of
pain.  John and I sent the rest of the group on.  The 3 boyscouts were now
hiking with us.  Lori, John, Chris and I took our time hikng down the
mountain into Valley Falls.  As soon as we reached the road I had Lori take
off her pack and get her feet up for a rest.  I walked down to a service
station and bought four cokes.  We cooked Ramen Noodles by the side of the
road spending about 1 hour on an extended break.  We maintained contact with
the rest of the group via radio.  We were going to meet at the steel bridge
across the Housatonic.
    The rest of the group got impatient and asked if they could hike on to
Limestone Spring Campsite.  I sent them on their way.  I led Lori, John and
Chris on a street hike avoiding some of the trail and shortening our hike by
a mile or two.  I know the old AT did not go over Mt Prospect.  We walked up
Sugar Hill Road practically to the shelter.  We were there within 5 minutes
of the first to arrive and long before the tag end of the group made it into
camp.
    Jenn, walked right by the blue blazes leading to the shelter and camp
site.  She kept on hiking.  When Sara came into camp we asked if she had seen
Jenn then figured out what had happened.  Chris and Dennis headed up the
trail without packs to run her down.  Chris is own the track team and enjoys
running long distances.  He headed north on the trail with a radio.  Dennis
headed south.  Eventually Chris found a frightened but safe Jenn about 2.5
miles beyond the shelter turnoff.  Dennis went to assist Chris in carrying
Jenn's pack.  It took the about 1.5 hours to find her and get her into camp.
But while they were on top of the ridge the clouds cleared and rewarded their
efforts with some incredible views.
    Back in camp,  the rest of us set up tents, sleeping bags, stoves.  We
got the water boiling and started dinner.  A small campfire was set up.  When
Jenn got into camp averyone fussed over her,  helped her set up her stuff and
helped her gets some dinner.  We teased her a little but just enough to let
her know we cared.